We love our cast iron! We use it multiple times each day! Tonight we wanted to make something delicious with that “down home” feel. Looking what we had on hand in the refrigerator we decided to whip up a simple One-dish Cast iron Chicken and Mushrooms dish!
One trick I learned years ago is to add a little vegetable oil when melting butter as it helps keep the butter from burning as easily. We use grapeseed oil, which has a high smoking point and some health benefits.
Carrie actually did the cooking today, as I’m recovering from surgery on my foot, but I walked her through this recipe.
We served this dish over a bed of spinach (and it was delicious,) as we are following the Slow-Carb Diet, as found in Timothy Ferriss’ book, The 4-Hour Body. Because of the cream soup, it might not be exactly “slow-carb,” but it is still rather a low carb meal. I have little doubt that this would be equally amazing over rice or mashed potatoes if you are so inlcined!
Here is the process, with the recipe format below.
Recipe: One-Dish Cast Iron Chicken and Mushrooms
Equipment: 12″ Cast Iron Skillet or Dutch Oven with a lid.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
- 4 Chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 12 oz Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can Cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet with vegetable oil.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken in butter and oil, beginning skin side down until golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Turn and brown the other side, an additional 10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Cook sliced onions and mushrooms in the butter/oil/chicken fat until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the can of cream of mushroom soup to the pan and stir to combine. Place the chicken on the mushroom/onion mix. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through.
Let me know how you like the recipe in the comments!
his post contains affiliate links. By clicking on these links and making purchases we may earn a small commission to help offset the costs of running this site.